Canon has announced the EOS M featuring a mirrorless, 18 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor in a compact, magnesium-alloy body. The EOS M will be available in four colors – black, white, silver and red. It has no built-in flash, but instead a hot shoe on the top plate, to take the new AAA-powered Speedlite 90EX. There is no built-in viewfinder, or connector for an external unit, so composition is solely on the camera’s LCD (which is fixed, rather than articulated).
Specifications and Features:
- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects also includes:
- Manual exposure control
- Multiple resolution frame rates
- Built-in stereo microphone
- Manual audio level adjustment
- Video Snapshot mode with touch-screen editing
- 18.0-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- ISO 100-6400 (expandable to 12800 in H mode) for video recording, ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600 in H mode) for still image shooting from bright to dim light and high performance Powerful DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional image quality video and photos
- Hybrid CMOS AF delivers fast autofocus speed for video and photos
- Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation allowing photographers to use familiar gestures such as “pinch-to-zoom” and “swiping” to scroll between pictures and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive video capture experience
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimized photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night
- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility
- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
- Compatible with SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, including new Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) cards
- Compatible with all Canon Speedlite accessories including the new Speedlite 600EX and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
- Compatible with Canon’s GPS Receiver GP-E2
New Lenses, EF-EOS M Mount Adapter and Speedlite
Canon has announced two lenses for the EF-M mount used for the first time by its EOS-M mirrorless camera. The first lenses will be a EF-M 22mm F2.0 STM ‘pancake’ prime and an EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM stabilized standard zoom lens. Both are built around a STM linear stepping motors to drive focus. The EF-M 22mm F2.0 offers a field-of-view equivalent to a 35mm lens on a 35 film camera, while the 18-55mm offers around 29-88mm equivalent coverage.
In addition to the two lenses, any of Canon’s EF and EF-S lenses can be used with the EOS M with the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M. Using the adapter allows the camera to be fully integrated into the EOS system of lenses, adding creative options and versatility to this new camera.
Ideal for use with the EOS Mi, Canon is also announcing a new compact and lightweight flash unit, the Speedlite 90EX. The flash unit can be controlled wirelessly and is compatible with all EOS DSLR cameras and PowerShot digital cameras that include a hot shoe.
The EOS M Digital Camera bundled with the new EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens will be available in October for an estimated retail price of $799.99. The new EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, Mount Adapter EF-EOS M and Speedlite 90EX will also be available in October at an estimated retail price of $299.99, $199.99 and $149.99 respectively.