After much speculation, Canon has officially announced the new 200-400mm f/4 IS
1.4x. The lens was first introduced back in February 2011. It wasn’t a launch, though,
but rather an “in development” announcement in which Canon officially informs the
world of a future product that’s being developed.
Designed to satisfy the discriminating needs of sports and wildlife photographers,
the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X is a high-performance super
telephoto zoom lens with an optically matched built-in 1.4x extender for maximum
versatility. With a simple flick of a switch, the zoom range can be quickly increased
to 280-560mm (f/5.6) on a full frame body.
* Built-in 1.4x extender, for extra magnification when you need it
* Shoot in low light with four-stop Image Stabilizer
* High image quality using Fluorite lens elements
* Fast AF with USM technology
* Robust design for use in the toughest environments
The new Canon 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4x will be available towards the end of May, with a price tag of $11,799.